Monday, September 9, 2013

Chapter 4: Petoskey, Sault Ste. Marie, Lansing

*time travel noises*

Last Wednesday:

The 4th of September was spent in the company of Stellaria and her wonderful kids. The younger ones all had school, so she took me out on a walkabout in Petoskey. We visited some friends at the local coin shop, window-shopped at a yarn store and a bookstore, and then Stellaria showed me Petoskey's Local Semi-Historic Landmark Place of Interest.






It's a hole in the ground!

The story behind this (frankly enormous) pit is that some company had plans to build a large complex with entertainment, housing/hotel type stuff, and cool things like that. Broke ground, started digging out the foundation . . . and then the dude in charge absconded with the funds. So it's just sort of sitting there now. Cool, eh? 

("Absconded" is a great word.)

Other neat places in Petoskey: 

The clock tower near the water:


And of course the water itself:

Looking east

Looking west

Happy Stellaria!

Not-happy crab.

Boats!


After our stroll down the pier, we went to a fantastic local Polish place for food. I got pierogi and a pasty, with kielbasa and taters in it! NOMS.

They had a cool map in the restaurant of all the shipwrecks in the Great Lakes.



Stellaria's house is right by the public library, which was really pretty AND had a labyrinth outside!



And that was Petoskey last Wednesday. Good food, good friends, good day.


*MORE UPDATES WILL HAPPEN TOMORROW I PROMISE. The hotel I'm in tonight just doesn't have fast enough internet for me to upload my pictures (it took nearly an hour just to get the ones from Petoskey on here!) so I'm going to find a Starbucks tomorrow morning to do that.

From Burlington, VT . . . 
Julia

(Also I've covered over 2000 miles and 8 states* in 8 days, of which two were non-driving days. WOW)
*(Okay really only 7, I'm not counting Pennsylvania yet.)


2 comments:

  1. Yessir, Pennsylvania counts.
    Also, Labyrinths rule!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, mom, Pennsylvania doesn't count until I actually spend TIME in Pennsylvania :)

      I'm not counting states I just drive through, unless I stop and look at things. F'r instance, New Hampshire won't count today, because I'm not stopping in it, but in a few days when I'm coming back around, then I'll stop and look and then it will count.

      Delete